I bought some fresh organic mushrooms on sale at the grocery store.They only had 2 cartons left so I got them both.I love mushrooms.Just me, the boys won't touch them.More for me.Since I can't possible eat two whole containers of fresh mushrooms,well, maybe I could, I decided to can them instead.I have never canned mushrooms before but there were instructions for them in my canning book and really there is almost nothing I won't try and can.If I can't find instructions I have a dear church lady who is like a Grandma to me who absolutely knows how to can everything,and I do mean everything!She is my canning encyclopedia !
This was super easy!Just soak the mushrooms in cold water for 10 minutes to remove the poop..er..I mean dirt.Then slice if you want.I was using the small jelly jars so I sliced mine.Boil for 5 minutes.This shrinks them down and gets them good and hot for the canning process.Put them in jars and can ,11 lbs for 45 minutes.
When I say canned,I mean pressure canned,not hot water bath.All low acid foods MUST be pressure canned,there is no getting around it.Well, unless your tryin' to kill some one,but please don't do that!Murder by canning,there's one I haven't seen on those crime shows yet.It's just a matter of time,there are so many of those shows,they've about run out of interesting ways to do folks in!
If you have never caned and are a little afraid of the pressure caner,I was, you shouldn't be.The new ones have safety release valves if for some reason,like you leave the house and go to the mall,it will blow to keep it from exploding.Not like the old pressure cookers.I don't know of many people who still use them,but most people my age and older remember them.They were like the old microwave,a faster way to cook food.I don't use a microwave,Hubby has labeled me crazy for this!I can still hear the steamy sh-sh-sh of the the thing in my memories.If it clogged or a mischievous red haired little boy,AKA Hubby, held down the little sh-sh-sh thingy on top it would blow.It happened at our house once too,but it was because it clogged.It was full of pinto beans,which we had at every meal.One big pot a week reheated every meal ,getting thick and more delicious with each passing day.You could see each individual bean print on our ceiling over our stove!
That's it!Easy Peasey !Oh ! I forgot to tell you how good this smelled! Just the 5 minute boiling set my kitchen to smelling delicious. If you love mushrooms your mouth will be watering!All I could thing about was mushroom soup or sauteed mushrooms and steak....This has really got me wanting to try to grow my own mushrooms.Anyone ever done one of those mushroom logs?