Friday, March 26, 2010

Cheap Cheap!!!

We got an order of baby chickies in the mail yesterday! We ordered from Ideal Poultry right here in Texas. They all look great,spunky and full of energy! I love how, in almost every picture, one is giving me the "chicken eye"!


We really don't need to order chickens,ours reproduce well. These are all different kinds of bannies. I like bannies. For one they are the best broody hens ever! Our big girls almost never go broody. It is nothing for my little bannies to go broody 4 or more times a year!


Plus they are just so darn cute! They lay good,but it is a small egg,so I just use two when I need and egg in something! I think if you have a small space and want some chickens just for eggs, bannies are a great choice!




The varieties I got this time are Silver Laced Cochins, Red Frizzle, Blue Mille Fleur D'uccle which I have never had before,and some Buff Japanese.The Buff Japanese are for The Boy.They are a beautiful,tiny chicken.He had some last year but a possum managed to get in their little pen and killed the hens.It could have been a coon since it had to manipulate a latch and their little hands do that  so well.So now he has some replacements.We actually all enjoy watching those little Japanese chickens.




Right now they are in the spare room,our nights are still cold and I don't know if a heat lamp would keep them warm enough while they are still so new to this world.



I think baby chicks are one of the simple pleasures of farm life...sigh!

13 comments:

the wild magnolia said...

The wonder fluff of baby chicks warms my heart!

Louise said...

Nothing as cute as little chickies. Except maybe duckies, or lambs, or kids, or foals. Oh heck, babies are cute, period.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

ok....i have serious chicken envy!!! you should try hummus. it is soooo good!

DebH said...

Way too cute and that just makes me nervous...as I ordered a large order of assortest layers for May!! Now I better start with the stressing on varmits..cold nights...dog and kitty proof...Oh man..what WAS I thinking? I know, SPRING!!

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

to me, little chicks are the funniest when one finds an insect and instead of eating right away, they show it off, and then everybody else is trying to now grab the bug out of its mouth

IsobelleGoLightly said...

Beautiful! I like the on standing on toes in the first photo!!!

Callie Brady said...

Chicks are so cute! When I see all this cuteness I want chicks, but then I remember I already have too many chickens. Sigh!

brokenteepee said...

Awww, our little ones arrive mid May

sunset pines farm said...

nothing better than baby animals-any kind.

Lin said...

After you wrote about the "chicken eye", I had to find it in each photo. :) They are sweet--I wish we could have chickens here. Gees, that would be GREAT to irk the neighbors. Hee! Hee!

Teresa said...

What beautiful little fluff balls! It makes me wish I had ordered some this year, but I'm sure my geese will give me my baby bird fix.

Julia said...

Those little guys are adorable!

So.... we're letting one of our broody buff orphs sit on four eggs and hoping she has some live ones in there. We're rookies but I figure the chickens must know something all by themselves... :)

Texan said...

oh I would love a bunch of new baby chicks... I am having to reallllllly watch myself or I am going to wound up with some! We have laying hens to supply our egg needs. We can't free range here as all that does is feed the predators, we tried... but oh my I would love to get some more baby chicks and ducks and I even try those Turkeys!!